The Diocese of Milwaukee
The first services of the Episcopal Church in Wisconsin were held near Green Bay in 1821 by the Oneida Indians, recent immigrants from New York State where they had been confirmed by Bishop John Henry Hobart.
The Episcopal Church was formally established in the Territory of Wisconsin in 1829. In 1838, St. Paul's was the first parish founded in Milwaukee and the third in Wisconsin. Before that was Christ Church, Green Bay (1826), and Holy Trinity, Prairie du Chien (1837).
By 1865 there were 45 parishes and missions and 61 clergy; 10 years later there were 86 parishes and missions, 66 clergy, and some 5000 communicants. In 1875 the Diocese of Fond du Lac was created to serve the 26 counties in the northeastern part of the state. In 1886 the Diocese of Wisconsin changed its name to the Diocese of Milwaukee, since its boundaries no longer covered the entire state. In 1928 the Diocese of Eau Claire came into existence, comprising those counties in the northwestern part of the state, leaving Milwaukee with the southern third.
The Diocese of Milwaukee today covers the southern third of the state from Kenosha and Port Washington on Lake Michigan, to Prairie du Chien on the Mississippi River (an east-west span of 180 miles), and from Wisconsin Dells south to the Illinois border (a north-south span of 100 miles). There are six Convocations which are used a a means of gathering members of the diocese on a regional basis for formational, pastoral or administrative occasions.
Our Trinity parish participates actively in the programs of the diocese, with a number of our parishioners presently or having in the past served in important diocesan posts, most notably as diocesan treasurer thrice in succession. Our youth are active in the Diocesan Youth Council and in programs for young people such as the Happening movement.
To learn more, visit the Diocese of Milwaukee website.
Our Bishop, The Right Rev. Steven A. Miller
The Rt. Rev. Steven Andrew Miller was elected eleventh Bishop of the Diocese of Milwaukee on May 31, 2003. He was consecrated on October 18, 2003 at the Mater Christi Chapel of the Archbishop Cousins Catholic Center in Milwaukee.
Bishop Miller was born in Detroit on September 30, 1957. He graduated from Michigan State University in 1979 with a bachelor's degree in history and received his Master's of Divinity degree from the General Theological Seminary in 1984 and was ordained a deacon and a priest that year. After ordination he served as curate at Christ Church, St. Joseph, Missouri. In 1986 he was called to serve as vicar of Christ Church, Boonville and St. Mary's, Fayette, Missouri. During his tenure there, Bishop Miller also served as chaplain at the residential alcohol and drug treatment center, and experience that helped bring pastoral care to the center of is ministry.
In 1990, Bishop Miller was called as rector of Christ Church in Gordonsville, Virginia. During his tenure, the parish experienced significant growth in membership and stewardship resulting in the expansion of its facilities. He became rector of St. Alban's Church in Annandale, Virginia in 1996, overseeing a period of rapid growth in the parish that included a $1.1 million capital campaign. In Virginia he was noted for his ability to attract young people and families to church life with activities, events, and outreach opportunities, including mission outreach to Central America. He twice served as regional dean in the Diocese of Virginia and also served as president of the diocesan Standing Committee.
Though he has led large parishes, Bishop Miller's early experience kindled a special and ongoing interest in working with congregations in rural areas. He served the Diocese of Virginia as a cluster revitalization officer and chaired the diocesan Commission of Congregational Development and Revitalization from 1995 to 2001. He is a certified trainer for the Church Development Institute, specializing in leading vestry retreats and revitalization consultations for congregations of all sizes.
Bishop Miller first encountered the Episcopal Church when he sang at a folk service presented by the Episcopal campus ministry at Michigan State, and music has remained close to his spiritual heart throughout his life and career. He is known to spice his sermons and speeches with lyrics from popular songs, connecting their hope and longing with that of the Gospel.
Bishop Miller met his wife Cindy in 1988 while he was serving on the religion faculty at Central Methodist College in Fayette, Missouri and she was Assistant Director of Admissions at the school. They married in 1989 and have two daughters. In 2004 Bishop Miller was awarded the Doctor of Divinity (honoris causa) by the General Theological Seminary.
He served as co-chair of the Moravian-Episcopal Dialogue which drafted the full communion proposal "Finding our Delight" adopted by the 76th General Convention of the Episcopal Church in 2009 and by the Northern and Southern Provinces of the Moravian Church in 2010. Bishop Miller was the preacher at the Service inaugurating the full communion agreement held at Central Moravian Church, Bethlehem, Pennsylvania on February 10, 2011. In 2012, he was named Episcopal co-chair of the Moravian Episcopal Coordinating Committee which oversees the full communion relationship.
Other work for the larger Church has included membership on the Lutheran Episcopal Coordinating Committee, the House of Bishops Theology Committee and the Standing Committee on Ecumenical and Interfaith Relations. He is currently a member of the Standing Committee on Liturgy and Music and the Board of Trustees of The General Theological Seminary.